The Wandering Kohawk

León, Nicaragua
Welcome. My name is Mitchell and I'm a proud alumnus of Coe College and currently reside in León, Nicaragua. Most of this blog is about my travels over the past few years Enjoy!

Finals Week!

Sorry for the delay in posting. We had a slight problem with our electricity recently which killed our wireless modem. Fortunately for me, nothing of mine was damaged, but my friends in the office next door were not so fortunate.

Anyway, right now we are in “exams” period for the students. It reminds me of finals week in college, where everything stops, except testing. I remember during my last finals week sitting in Gage Union watching a man wash windows. I thought to myself, wow, I’m done studying and ready to just work. Well, here I am, with everyone else studying I am the one happily working away.

The big news for the past couple weeks was a trip to Gitarama, the second largest city in Rwanda (even though I didn’t even know it until after I left). Later that week was the first plowing of our corn field and apparently being from Iowa qualifies me as the expert in plowing and all tractor operations, so I happily plowed along, getting a sense of satisfaction from my work. My dad reminded me that I do indeed come from a long line of farmers and this is to be expected. Last week we actually got out of the center a little bit and went to the 2nd annual Mutzig Beer Fest, which was a nice change of pace from our full, busy days at the center.

We’ve been to the Embassy two times now to watch football and its glorious. We hang out with about 5 or 6 other American guys and watch football. It’s a simple pleasure, but I do love it. Last weekend we even bought some ground beef and made hambergers!

I have posted some pictures below. I have many more, and hope to take many more, but until I get more reliable internet I won’t be able to get them online.

Also, if anyone knows how to get episodes of The Office from a non-US IP address I would be eternally grateful!

GO HAWKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment