The Wandering Kohawk

León, Nicaragua
Welcome. My name is Mitchell and I'm a proud alumnus of Coe College and currently reside in León, Nicaragua. Most of this blog is about my travels over the past few years Enjoy!

Do you know somebody who knows somebody?

Sometime I think I will have to leave Rwanda. I think, furthermore, that that time will be before 2011. That being said, Father Frans (the director of the center) is getting nervous that he won't have a volunteer working on the farm after I leave.

Granted, I'm not a farmer, but being from Iowa I understand the basics and know how to drive a tractor, which qualifies me. So... are you, or do you know any good Iowa (or not) farmer (or not) boys who might be interested in coming to Africa for a year?

Experience is not really needed (me) but it could help. A desire to work hard, take initiative, interact with kids and explore a new culture are needed. Any age would also work. Chris is the youngest volunteer and Mark is the oldest volunteer at 63. In fact, we often talk how interesting it would be to have a retired Iowa farmer come here and volunteer for a while.

The program I volunteer with, the Salesian Lay Missioners, is a great program and I would encourage anyone to investigate because it covers many logistics and finances that can otherwise be prohibitive to volunteering. (If you're interested in this route, there is a discernment weekend in Chicago at the end of April for my midwest homies. More on the East coast in June) If you don't want to use this program and just show up, that's ok too!

Please please please, if you are even remotely interested, or know someone who might be contact me. I'm having the most amazing experience of my life and you should think about it.

You can email me at mitchelljlincoln@gmail.com

(I'm tagging random people in the Facebook version of this so the word spreads faster!)

No comments:

Post a Comment