The Wandering Kohawk

León, Nicaragua
Welcome. My name is Mitchell and I'm a proud alumnus of Coe College and currently reside in León, Nicaragua. Most of this blog is about my travels over the past few years Enjoy!

The rain hath cometh

Rainy season has officially begun here in Rwanda. This means a couple things... First of all, and most importantly, it cools off a little bit after the rain. I actually had to get my fleece out tonight to sit outside and I'm not upset about that at all. The days generally reach the mid-80s which isn't terrible, but if I'm working, the proximity of the sun can make it quite hot. Secondly, it means it is time to plant on the farm. I'll be spending the next week running the farm's walk behind tiller to till where the students have hoed (by hand) the couple acres we will be using to plant corn this season. Finally, it means the red dust that has been habitually in the air and all over everything I own may subside.

In other non-weather news, I have discovered that I am now the resident basketball expert at the center. I've tried explaining to them many times that they must have me confused with someone else who is actually good at basketball, but they insist, constantly making references to me and the NBA (in French, so that's really all I understand when they talk amongst each other about it). Today after church we went to the national stadium with a Salesian from a different school to watch a game that some of his students were playing in. There was supposed to be an American coach or scout or something there, but he didn't show so we just caught the last two minutes of the game before one of the coaches came over to me and invited me to play on his team. (Note:The first thing I saw when I walked in was a very tall, very large black man drop step dunk while drawing a foul, so I was a little intimidated) I managed to answer very evasively and maybe after playing for a few months and getting what little shot I have back I'll consider. Of every sport I'm interested in, I never thought it would be basketball that would bring me the most attention!

Anyway, tomorrow is the end of Ramadan, so its a holday here in Kigali (even though only 5% of the population is Muslim) so we're going to try to get into the city and explore a little bit. We've been too focused on working that other than a couple restaurants and bars, we haven't had much time to get out and see things, so hopefully tomorrow will be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment