The Wandering Kohawk

León, Nicaragua
Welcome. My name is Mitchell and I'm a proud alumnus of Coe College and currently reside in León, Nicaragua. Most of this blog is about my travels over the past few years Enjoy!

Sprint to Rwanda

Hello everyone!
I have finally made it to Kigali! As my title suggests, it did involve quite a bit of running through airports (my plane in Moline broke and messed up my whole day) but we arrived Thursday night and I finally collected all my luggage last night and am getting settled in.
"De Centre de Juene" is the site where I will be working and living this year. It is one of the Salesian sites located in Kigali, specifically in the district of Gatenga. It is a large compound, about 27 acres and has a vocational school where the students learn trades from cooking, to clothes-making or carpentry and metal working. The site also contains a working farm complete with growing some vegetables and goats, cows, pigs, geese and rabbits. The priests learned I was from Iowa and immediately showed me some work that needed to be done using the tractor. We're not sure exactly what we'll be doing yet, but I'm sure it will involve my two skills that they are aware of, English and farming, neither of which I think I'm particularly good at.
Speaking of language, the common language among everyone is French, which I am frantically trying to pick up. Luckily there are some Germans living next to us, who don't work with us but are on the same site and speak French and English, so we have some friends, along with some priests we are getting to know pretty well. The othere language is Kirywanda, which every Rwandan speaks (and mass in Kirywanda this morning was a little different from mass I went to last week in Iowa City). Many people know a little English, but I'm feeling my "American-ness" with my lack of language skills.
We have just been mostly relaxing and getting oriented with the site and venturing into town with the Germans the last couple days, but work starts tomorrow, whatever "work" happens to be.
I hope to post again soon, but our internet connection is not in the building we live and is extrememely slow, so it may not be as easy to use the internet as I originally hoped.

Also, on a very important note, I know many people were concerned about the beer situation, and they have beer, so you can rest at night knowing that I'm not cut off from drinking for a whole year.

But alas, I must finish this post before my computer dies (I'm having charger issues with the different electricity). Farewell!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mitch...Happy "you've been in Rwanda for a week" day. Sounds like you have the potential to learn multiple languages...non of which you know yet, thank goodness for those Germans to get you acquainted. I love the stereotype that you are from Iowa and know how to work a tractor. Who thought that you could travel all the way to Rwanda and farm! That makes me laugh. Well, have a great day and we look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mitchell! I hope you are having a good day. I will be thinking of you throughout the day and say a prayer for you. Everything is fine here (New Mexico)...I hope the same for you. We went to Taos today and saw beautiful mountains and the Rio Grande Gourge. Enjoying Kayli. Have a great birthday. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete