The Wandering Kohawk

León, Nicaragua
Welcome. My name is Mitchell and I'm a proud alumnus of Coe College and currently reside in León, Nicaragua. Most of this blog is about my travels over the past few years Enjoy!

A year of change

Yesterday was my birthday, and as I looked back over the last year I realized what a crazy year it has been, in the best of ways. One year ago I was still at Coe, concerned with writing papers, managing finances of the Student Senate and going out with my friends every Thursday night. Now here I am in Rwanda, concerned with making sure the cows are fed, I make time to talk with orphans and finding a little bit of time to read and sleep.
I think I've come to a little bit of normalcy after my first week. During the week I spend my day on the farm and in the classroom. I drive the tractor while the students and workers load it with whatever the job is for the day. Sometimes I go to class with the Agronomer/teacher, Manani, to help him teach English as well. The highlight of every day, however, is at 4:00 when all the students (and hundreds of other kids) show up on the athletic fields to play football (soccer), basketball and volleyball. Chris and I go out every day and love to just hang out, talk with the kids in their broken English and get a few games in. Then at night we say the rosary with the studetns who board at the school, eat dinner and try to study French before falling asleep. Its only been a week, but I'm happy (those of you who know about culture shock, I'm still in the honeymoon phase).
We went to the embassy this week to register (only to find out we had to come back the next day, and then to find out we had to do it online). It was nice to visit though, and talk with some Americans. The US embassy is the biggest and most fortified in town, and ironically, I observed this on September 11, while our flag was at half staff. Anyway, we are registered and now begin the annoying process of getting our visa from the Rwandan government.
Oh and last night the German couple that works on our site took us out to an Indian resturaunt downtown for my birthday which was amazing (better than our typical beans and rice!)
Anyway, its football time!

No comments:

Post a Comment